Thursday, May 23, 2013

[Book BFFs] Interview with Lindsay of The Novel Life



During Bout of Books 7.0, I met a group of wonderful people who happen to be fellow book lovers who spread the word. We decided to stay in contact and do some wonderful blog-y things together like the Summer Solstice Read-a-thon. This interview is one of the things we came up with.

Without further ado, let me introduce you to Lindsay of The Novel Life:

The Novel Life    @lindsaychurch    Goodreads    Facebook

1. Tell me about yourself, what kind of person are you behind the computer/phone screen?

I am a full time creative writing and acting student! I love movies, books, acting, writing, musicals, and dancing- contemporary and ballet. I get very attached to the things I love (books, movies, tv shows etc). I am also obsessed with watching bookshelf tours and room tours on youtube. I have an unhealthy love of peanut butter- especially Reese peanut butter cups!



2. How long have you been blogging and what made you start?

I've actually only been blogging for about a month. I've WANTED to for years, I always start a blog and then stop it after one post. I started this time because I found a base topic that I really love - books! It makes it easier to blog if you have a solid thing to base the blog around.



3. In your opinion, what makes a book a great read?

A strong cast. If the lead characters are compelling and seem like real people I will read about anything. I love it when book characters end up feeling like people you know. It doesn't hurt if there is lots of conflict and humor and "all the feels" either!



4. What are the first 5 books that come to mind?

The Maze Runner series by James Dashner
Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
The Farm by Emily McKay



5. What are your blogging tactics/strategies? How do you, personally,manage blogging and your real life?

I'm still figuring this one out. I'm having a hard time balancing school/work/blogging at the moment, but I'm starting to schedule things into my phones calendar which is really helping. I love lists so I'm finding that making them is helping a lot!



6. If you could pick any 5 fictional characters to have brunch with, whom would you pick?

I would choose
Fire from Fire by Kristin Cashore - she's lovely and can teach me how to shoot a bow and arrow afterwards.
(I'd pick Katniss but I don't think she'd talk to anyone else and it might be awkward)
Fred and George Weasley - they would liven the brunch up. (they count as one!)
Will Herondale from Infernal Devices - so that I can force him into a relationship with me.
Katsa from Graceling, though if she's unavailable I'll take Po!
And
Wanderer from The Host - preferable when she's in Melanies body so that Melanie can come too! (see how I cheat?)



7. What was the first book that left a lasting impression with you?

I want to say Harry Potter, because.. hello Harry Potter! But I think the FIRST book that I read that made me feel all the feels was actually a few years before HP came out. It was The Guests of War trilogy by Kit Pearson. I have the omnibus of it but it's "The Sky is Falling" "Looking at the Moon" and "The Lights Go On Again." I still read it every couple of years. It's a beautifully written story.



8. Who initially fueled your love for books? How?

I'm not actually sure but I think a mixture of my mother and the Scholastic book club that came once a month at school. You got to take this big catalog home and choose books from it and then magically a week later they'd come to school for you! My mom bought me books from when I was little though and really encouraged reading.



9. If you could only take 3 books on a yearlong sabbatical in another country, which ones would you pick?

Hmmm.. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
Harry Potter (magically they've become one GIANT book)
and Fire by Kristin Cashore



10. What do you need for your perfect reading surroundings? (Area, foods, drinks etc)

I don't actually need anything, I'll read anywhere. But IDEALLY, a drink (tea or coke zero!) and a snack that won't get all messy on the book - so unfortunately no chocolate :(


3 comments:

@MelissaJoLynn_ said...

My comment didn't load so I'm gonna try again. I can't remember what I said so here's a new comment lol. I didn't realize you've only been blogging a month! Welcome to the book community =) Please share your expertise in creative writing! I always wanted to take a writing class or ten. I think I need to read Graceling now after hearing you talk about it a few times now. Great interview!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry about your comment, Harley! I got the e-mail, but it kept telling me the comment didn't exist - so here's what you said in bold:

I didn't realize you'd only been blogging a month. That's so exciting! You'll have to share your expertise about creative writing with us. When I switched my second major in college I was so close to picking English, but last minute chose Psych and I've regretted it since. Always wanted to take a writing course or ten lol. And yes to HP if you're going on a trip! Also, I think I need to read Graceling finally after hearing you talk about it a lot now.

By the way, I said the same thing about Kristin Cashore after I read Lindsay's answers. I need to read it!!! LOL

Unknown said...

yes!! Only a month - I am a baby blogger. LOL!

That's why I will probably ask so many annoying questions.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GRACELING if you guys haven't gotten that already LOL