Tuesday, October 02, 2012

[Top 10 Tuesday] Old, but definitely not forgotten



Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is all about older books, that may not be on the top of everyone's wish list, but definitely deserve to be spotlighted every once in a while.

Here are my old, but not forgotten books:

1 & 2) Judith Kerr's When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and The Other Way Around
British author Judith Kerr wrote these two autobiographical books (actually a trilogy, which is completed by A Small Person Far Away, which is not as good as the first two) telling of her life as a Jew in the early years of Nazi-Germany, along with her family's escape through Switzerland and France to Great Britain. These books give middle grade readers and young adults a close look at life during this horrible time, without appearing preachy or too horrific. Kerr manages to draw the reader into the happenings back in the 1930s and 1940s through her own eyes as a kid. I highly recommend these two books, as they are educational in a subdued way, so it is not very obvious to the reader that s/he is actually learning about World War II and Nazi-Germany.

3) Agatha Christie!!!
I recommend every single Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot mystery Dame Agatha Christie ever wrote. No matter which one you will pick up, you are in for a treat. I must have read my first Miss Marple novel when I was 10 or 11 and I never got enough. She is indeed the Queen of Crime, that label is so very apt.

4) J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter
Come on, they have to be on this list. I actually know some people who never read the books, so I will never give up promoting them. Also, any possible future kids of mine must read and love HP, if they don't they can't be mine & must have been switched at birth! o_O

5) Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird
This one should be a no-brainer, but it deserves so much love! I first read to Kill A Mockingbird back in school, when I was bored with our assigned reading (my teacher never said a word when I read other books).

6) Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy
I absolutely love Rose Hathaway and Lissa Dragomir. I have been listening to the audio books for this series mostly, because the German narrator does a wonderful job giving Dimitri a Russian accent and it gives him so much more character and personality. Even when reading the books, I hear Dimitri's voice with the Russian accent, which is "added goodness" in my eyes. If you love vampires you most likely will love this!

7) Enid Bylton's Malory Towers series
This is a series I devoured as a middle grade reader. Darrell (it's still strange for me that they changed all the names in the German editions, but I guess that's what they did in the the 1950s and 60s?) attends a bording school which is also a castle and has many wonderful adventures. This is a very girly series, naturally, but I can only recommend it, even for reluctant readers.

8) Enid Blyton's St Clare's series
Another of Enid Blyton's bording school series, which is great for the exact same reasons as Malory Towers.

9) Lois Lowry's The Giver
Many, many years ago, this was my first dystopic novel ever. Lowry imagined a society where everyone is the same, there are no differences, no discord. If you love distopic novels, you have to read this!

10) K.A. Applegate's Animorphs series I will throw this series in here because I recently recommended it to my kid cousin (he's 13) who loves to read, reads a lot & fast at that. The series revolves around five kids who with the help of an alien try to save Earth from an alien infiltration. The name stems from them being able to morph into all kinds of animals, thanks to the friendly alien they meet at the beginning of the series.

What about you? What are your older books that you hope will never be forgotten? Post them in the comments, please.
Have you read any of my older books I don't want to be forgotten?


No comments: