Tuesday, July 01, 2014

[Top 10 Tuesday] Classics, anyone?



Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Today's topic is: Top 10 Classics (I still want to read)

This is a relatively easy TTT for starters (again). I tend to buy classics I want to read pretty much right away, especially when I see a cover art I love. I currently have 25 classics (or books I deem classics, as I included Toni Morrison and P.G. Wodehouse, who some may not necessarily include in that list). But alas, here we go with my Top 10 in alphabetical order:

1-3) Jane Austen's Prise and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility & Mansfield Park - because I need to read so many of her works still!

4) Arthur Conan Doyle's The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - because where would crime novels be without Sherlock Holmes and Dr.Watson?! Even TV these days would be nothing without it. Just think of Elemental and Sherlock!

5) James Joyce's Dubliners - because an Irish author should be on the list as well (and this one is a tiny bit of a cheat here, because I'm in the process of reading it)

6) Toni Morrison's Beloved - because I have heard a lot of things about it and finally want to know what is true and what is not!

7-8) William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice & As You Like It - because I will not stop until I've read them all! To be honest, I thought I had read the latter, but it's still on my TBR list, so I've added it here.

9-10) P.G. Wodehouse's The Inimitable Jeeves & Very Good, Jeeves - because many people know the TV series featuring Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry, but who has actually read the short stories? And they're amazing! I can tell you that because I have read a few before, and I even wrote a paper on how the gentleman is portrayed in one of the stories.

11) A bonus for you! Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre - because I really want to re-read it again!

Did you join in this meme? If so, leave a link, please, or add your answers in the comments!


3 comments:

Jess @ Jessticulates said...

My Dad's been telling me to read the Jeeves books for years, I really need to get on that. :) I love Jane Eyre, it's been a while since I last it, too.

beccabooklover said...

I still need to read Austen's Mansfield Park and Emma but love her others. I'd love to begin the Sherlock Holmes books but not sure if I'll like them hmmm. And Jane Eyre is an amazing story! Great list :)

Becca @ Lost in Thought
My TTT

Unknown said...

Jess, read them! I think they're hilarious and your Dad has good taste in books, judging from the Jeeves books ;) Jane Eyre is wonderful, isn't it? Heartwrenchingly wonderful *sigh*

Becca, it's the same for me. I love the Austens I've read so far, but a couple are still unread (and on my shelves!). I love the movies and the TV shows, so I hope I will not be disappointed by the Sherlock Holmes books. I may hand them over to my dearest, though. He is still looking for something to read while he's at the hospital.