Monday, July 21, 2014

It's Monday! What are you reading? (July 20, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey.

It’s Monday! What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Last Week

Last week marked the end of yet another semester, so I was rather busy for the past 2 weeks. I did not read much, to be honest. However, I tried to finally make a list of all the books I have on my Kindle. I already have a list sorted by genre for my paper books, but I figured I should see my unread e-books as well. This sets up the basis for my TBR short "stacks" on a sticky.



Nonetheless, I read - and skimmed a good part - of The Empire Writes Back by Bill Ashcroft et al. This is a text book on post-colonial literary theory and I had a good time reading / skimming it. It will be useful for a paper I have to write.



And I believe I did not finish Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter before my last Monday post? Anyway, I finished it and loved it!

Reading right now



I am still re-reading Dubliners by James Joyce. It's a great short story collection and I am glad I took a class where we talked about nothing but Dubliners!



Also, I am reading another collection of short stories - this one by P.G. Wodehouse: The Inimitable Jeeves. It seems to be the month of short story collections?! Some of you may know the TV show Jeeves and Wooster starring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, and these are the stories the show was based on. Jeeves is the valet of Bertie Wooster, an English gentleman in circa 1910 (?). I absolutely love the stories as they are oftentimes laugh out loud hilarious!

New In

During the past 2 weeks (or has it been three?!) I received these books for review via Netgalley:



B, uzz Books 2014: Young Adult (not pictured), which is a collection of excerpts of up and coming YA books for the fall/winter season; Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes is the second installment in the The Naturals series, a bit of a crossover of Criminal Minds and The Mentalist, maybe; and I Only Read It For The Cartoons by Richard Gehr, with information on the The New Yorker's cartoon artists.



Zac & Mia by A.J. Betts is the story of two cancer patients and while this sounds a bit like a very well known novel by John Green (The Fault In Our Stars, in case you didn't get the hint), I have high hopes that I will love it at least as much as most people loved TFIOS; and finally Vivian Apple At The End Of The World by Katie Coyle, which is the story of a girl living in our world but society believes that the end of times is near and at the day that has been proclaimed as the day of the Rapture her parents disappear.


6 comments:

Nikita @ Plot Twist Reviews said...

Hmmm, I love Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, so I will definitely check out The Imitable Jeeves. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Hope your exams went well and that you are enjoying a well-deserved break!

Here is my It's Monday post.

Kathy Martin said...

I really want to read that series by Ally Carter. I read the first one a while ago. I also have the Jennifer Lynn Barnes book on my review stack. Come see my week. Happy reading!

Stormi said...

Looks like some great reads. I really need to read the Ally Carter books. And I have Killer Instincts to read also and can't wait. :)

Happy reading,
Stormi
http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-75/

Lindsey said...

Zac and Mia looks really cute. It's so tough to not compare books when you have read something similar!

Unknown said...

These look really interesting. I'm adding Uncommon Criminals to my TBR list. It looks pretty good. Have a great reading week! I followed also while I was here.
Laura
It's Monday, What are you reading?

Elizabeth said...

I love the title of THE EMPIRE WRITES BACK and love cover.

The title is so clever. The cover is just awesome.

ENJOY all your books and your reading week.

THANKS for sharing.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My It's Monday, What Are You Reading