Sunday, April 28, 2013

[Dewey] Progress Report #6 - The End?

So, the 24 hours for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-A-Thon are over and I don't think I really want to stop reading. This always happens after the readathon. I'm so enthralled in the readathon and reading, that I wish it wouldn't end. And I have a feeling I will read some more today even.

Books read: 4 total (Volumes 28 through 30 of Case Closed by Gosho Aoyama and Out of Sight, Out of Time by Ally Carter) and about 100 pages of the German book I started the readathon with as well as about 100 pages of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Pages read: 700 pages

Time spent reading: 17 hours and approximately 15 minutes

Other activities: I had lunch with my family (delicious green asparagus!) and made some more tea because the one from this morning was cold

Snacks/Food devoured: I ate a pork steak, green asparagus and potatoes for lunch and 3 more of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

And naturally, there's also an end of event meme:

1) The most daunting hour for me was Hour 13. My eyes hurt, my back hurt from too much time on the couch, and I kept yawning. Changing my reading place from the couch to the bed was a good idea.

2) Anything short-ish and entertaining can be a good choice for the readathon, especially in the later hours. Maybe a short story collection so you can take breaks in between. Pick something that keeps you engaged!

3) I love the readathon exactly as it is. There's not too much going on to distract me from reading for too long, and there's not too little so I could maybe feel bored. When I need a break, I always could swing on over to see what was going on and maybe participate in a mini challenge. At times, more cheerleaders would have been fun, but I believe it lies in the nature of things to have a smaller number of people sign up for that task than for the actual reading.

4) Everything?

5) I finished 4 books and read good chunks of 2 more books so far. I will continue reading for the rest of the day, though.

6) I mentioned the books I read above, so I will not repeat them here ;-)

7) I most enjoyed Ally Carter's Out of Sight, Out of Time. I absolutely love the series and it's always a winner for me.

8) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky so far has not engaged and entertained me as much as I had hoped. I know many people love it, but for me something seems to be missing.

9) I was not a cheerleader.

10) I have participated in a number of readathons so far (with the exception of the April readathons that were on my birthday weekend), mostly as a participant, and once I helped out with the organization. I hope to participate again next time, however, kiddo may prevent that. I may instead offer to be a cheerleader for a few hours.


2 comments:

Ellie said...

700 pages is really good for 17 hours! Well done.

Hollie said...

I really wanted to join in with the readathon but I just didn't have enough time to devote to reading yesterday! Well done on reading so much though, you did brilliantly well! :D