Saturday, June 02, 2012

[Review] Nora Roberts : Bed of Roses

[romance]

You can buy it here:
Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet) (Amazon mass market paperback)
Bed of Roses (Bride Quartet) (Amazon eBook)

Summary: (from Audible.de)
Since she was a little girl, Emma Grant has always loved romance. So it's really no surprise that she has found her calling as a wedding florist at Vows. She gets to play with flowers every day and work with her three best friends in the process. She couldn't ask for a better job....

And on the surface, Emma's love life seems to be thriving. Slim and sultry, she brings color into every room she enters, just like the arrangements she creates. Though men swarm around her, she still hasn't found Mr. Right. And the last place she's looking is right under her nose.

But that's just where Jack Cooke is. He's so close to the women of Vows that he's practically family. But the architect has begun to admit to himself that his feelings for Emma have developed into much more than friendship. And when Emma returns his passion - kiss for blistering kiss - things start to get complicated at Vows.

Jack has never been big on commitment, though, while Emma yearns for a lifelong love affair. If the two are to find common ground, they must trust in their history - and in their hearts.

My thoughts:
Bed of Roses starts soon after Vision in White ended. This time, we watch Emmaline fall in love with long-time friend Jack. Nora Roberts is the Queen of Romance for a reason, and I believe that she shows exactly why that is the case with this novel.

I have come to love all 4 women in the first installment in this series already, so coming back to see more was a pleasure. With Nora Roberts' novels, it is usually a joint joy with my Mom, so I tend to wait, which is why I had a long break between books #1 and #2, but this did not affect my feelings with this or my memory of book #1 in any way. It was easy to dive back into the story.

Emma is a sweet woman and the chemistry between her and Jack is obvious from the start, even though they try to fight it, as they don't want to spoil their long friendship and the interaction within their mutual circle of friends. Both are very likeable characters and although you know from the getgo that they will be together at the end despite the obstacles, Bed of Roses still has a wonderful and romantic ending.

Narration (audio): (Brilliance Audio)
My copy was an unabridged audio with roughly 8 hours and 56 minutes. When I listen to an audio book, the narrator is of course very significant. Books usually stand or fall with the narrator, so s/he is important.

In this case, Angela Dawe did a good enough job. She was easy to understand and follow, narrated the story in a way that was entertaining and got me hooked. The one thing that bugged me, really, really bugged me, was that she changed her voice for the different characters. Usually, that doesn't bother me, but here, Dawe chose a tone for the male voices (and especially for Jack) that annoyed me. The men sounded like male macho bimbos!

Rating:
4/5

FTC: Bought with my own money - via my Audible subscription.


2 comments:

Marg said...

I did enjoy this series, especially the way that the author writes the friendships.

If I remember correctly I think that I thought that the conflict dragged on too long in this one, but still a good read.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, Marg! I love how Nora Roberts includes those amazing friendships in her series. Makes me wish I had such great friends :)

I agree, the conflict on how they're friends and don't want to lose the friendship if it doesn't work out dragged on too long here, but I had to laugh at the misunderstanding when Emma thought Jack & Mac had been involved in the past & then they discover that Jack had kissed more that one of the women in the past LOL