Thursday, June 07, 2012

[ArmchairBEA] Beyond the Blog

I mentioned this in a separate blog post, but chances are you will only go to this blog post and not the entire blog, so: I had problems with my internet connections for most of the week. My router assigned my computer an IP address starting with 168 instead of 192. This meant my computer could not connect to the internet and I was offline. Otherwise I would have been a lot more active during ArmchairBEA. I will try to catch up later today & tomorrow, so if you want to come back, I would love and appreciate it!





Today's topic:

So, you enjoy writing do you? Would you like to be involved elsewhere on the interwebs or possibly start writing for your local paper? Perhaps you'd simply like to start drawing an income from your blog? Today we will be sharing tips that will help you move your blog forward or perhaps your own personal goals of writing and making an income from what you love to do. Today we'd love you to share your top tips for getting beyond your blog! Have you done any freelance writing? Are you monetizing your blog and how so? How do you make connections outside the book blog community on the internet?


Writing... I have a very mixed relationship with the process of writing itself. When I have a topic I am interested in, it is obviously a lot easier, but even then it takes a bit until I find the right way to start. This has always been the case, both with blogging and with writing for school/university papers.

However, while it is hard work for me to get started, I enjoy writing and if I had time left on a regular basis, I would love to write and earn some money at the same time. So far, the only way this has happened only in a very small, but very exciting way. As I mentioned before, I study literature. This has led me to get to know someone who works for a German publisher & also offers classes every now and then. Thanks to him, I had the wonderful opportunity to write a few reviews for them before they bought the books. It is nothing I do on a regular basis, but I love it and I wouldn't mind reading and reviewing for them more often.

In theory, I could monetarize my blog and I even use the Amazon partner program for all my pretty cover pictures and links to buy the books, but I haven't made a single cent from my blog in all the years. I don't even get that many review copies, simply because I live in Germany and take breaks from blogging whenever I need to. All my review copies this year have been via Netgalley and I am glad they exist. I still buy most of the books afterwards to have a paper copy, but it is nice to be able to read them on my Kindle. Mostly because with my Kindle I will always have a second book with me for after finishing my current read.

As far as making connections, I have to admit I don't have many friends in real life or online. The sad thing is, usually people end up disappearing out of my life once they're in a long-term relationship, no matter how close we were before and how often we used to hang out.


2 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Netgalley has made all the difference for me. I don't feel like there is pressure to review since no one has contacted me or sent me

Unknown said...

Chris, it is definitely easier. The only thing that sometimes gives me a bad feeling about Netgalley is when publishers have too many restrictions & it is pretty much impossible to get an eGalley from them.