Friday, June 08, 2012

[ArmchairBEA] The Future of Book Blogging





Today's topic:

It's the final day of Armchair BEA and we want you to keep your passion for books and blogging about them going long after we've closed the event. Today we'll be sharing tips on keeping book blogging exciting and unique to your vision for your blog. Our suggested post for today is "Ask the Experts". If you have any burning questions for your fellow participants about book blogging now is the time to ask and if you don't we'd love for you to share your own personal tips about book blogging!



I had a hard time with today's topic. I may have been blogging for years now, but I am really no expert at all. I can't tell you how to maintain a good relationship with publishers, because I live in Germany and generally, publishers don't offer to ship ARCs here. I can't tell you how to gain followers, because I don't know. In fact, I am not a huge fan of that anyway. I don't even like the whole "you must be a follower to participate in my giveaways", even though I have done that myself in the past.

So you see, I am really not one to give you advice beyond the very common sense things like
1) Be nice!
2) Link back if you copy something or use it for inspiration.
3) Have fun doing what you do and take breaks when things get overwhelming.
4) Participate in memes you like, but don't participate in too many.

You see, these are pretty basic, commonsense things, so I don't really have to say much about it, right?

However, I have a questions for the experts out there:
How do you get people to comment? I have even tried asking questions in my blog posts, but to no avail, so I am a bit at a loss. I would really love to have some conversation in the comments and usually, I try to reply to comments, but when I don't get any comments... I'm at a loss here and it makes me sad. Any help and any suggestions are most welcome!


2 comments:

Jae said...

I think it all depends on the kind of question. What have you been asking? Some readers haven't read the book so they won't be able to contribute anything. Try to ask something interesting that they can share an opinion on.

Cayce said...

Great advices! And I agree, memes are great, but I don't want to read just memes on a blog.