Monday, June 04, 2012

[ArmchairBEA2012] Introductory Interview

It's that time of the year again. A great number of book bloggers is in NYC for BEA. And I have to admit, I'm jealous. I would love to be there, like in 2010, but BEA always takes place in the middle of the semester, and I don't dare skip a week just like that. Not this close to being (hopefully, finally!) done with university.

But we have ArmchairBEA for all of us that can't go and still want to get together, if "only" virtually. For this weeklong occasion, we will all start out with an introductory interview, so let's get started!





Q: Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
A: "Hello, my name is Kathrin and I'm a book addict!" That's what I keep thinking almost every day and actually it has been several times a day for the past weeks. It is true - and luckily I am not alone, although it can feel very lonely when I'm walking outside of the blogging world.
It feels lonely even though I major in American Studies with a minor in English Studies. You'd think all those literature classes I took so far would help me feel less lonely. The truth is, I feel it is frowned upon to read contemporary literature of (almost) any kind. I won't even go into the treatment of novels for young adults, romance novels, or the paranormal genre. It makes me sad that there is this a brandishing of a whole group of genres. There is a reason why these genres exist, they have a right to exist and my love for them does not make me a lesser person, within or outside of the academic setting. But tell that to the lecturers or even my fellow students!
I have been blogging for quite a number of years now. I believe I had my first blog in the early 2000s when I was still at school as I felt the need to have some place where I could keep track of what I was reading and a handwritten notebook never made me happy. (My handwriting kept getting sloppier the longer I wrote.) I doubt I will stop blogging any time soon because even though I have been scarce here, it will forever be my place to escape to when I want to tell someone, anyone, about the books I read. To me, my blog is now a place where I can express my feelings about books I read, whether I enjoy them or not. I don't mind telling what I didn't like about a book really, only, I tend to ditch them before I've finished...

Q: What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?
A: Right now I'm reading Susan Mallery's Summer Days, which I am admittedly not enjoying as much as I had hoped. My second book is Meljean Brook's The Iron Duke, which I enjoy a lot more, but it's huge!
My favorite booka so far in 2012 are Veronica Roth's Divergent, Meg Cabot's Underworld and Jennifer Bernard's The Fireman who Loved Me (reviews to follow later this month).

Q: Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.
A: My books may be the biggest "collection" of mine, but DVDs are a close second. I don't have a TV at my place, but I watch DVDs a lot and also collect them. There are no good DVD rentals around here unless I want to go online. So I have separate shelves for all my DVDs. They are sorted by movies vs. series and then alphabetically! Is that too much geekery going on?

Q: If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?
A: It's a close call between Jill Shalvis because she is the most fun person I have ever encountered online (Really, check out her blog (link above)!) and Mr. Darcy because it's Mr. Darcy!

Q: Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?
A: Absolutely! When I first started keeping track of my books, I read almost exclusively mysteries and some thrillers. Then this phase stopped completely and I was hooked on young adult novels of (almost) all genres with some category romance over the summers.
Nowadays, I read what fits my mood without excuses. This usually means romance novels, novels for young adults (yes, they've stuck with me), but also chick lit and mysteries, paranormal and urban fiction, as well as books I would consider classics even though they might not fit the bill of popular classics.


16 comments:

heather said...

I don't like the snobbery that says just because a book was published a hundred years ago that makes it better than what is published today. Reading should be fun - not hard work all the time.
Here's my intro http://www.spiritblog.net/?p=4319

Krazzyme(Young Readers) said...

I LOVE Watching DVD'S too ! Especially TV DVD's :P Supernatural LOVE!


Krazyyme @ Young Readers

Libby said...

Good for you for reading what you love!

Hope you have a great time w/ Armchair BEA!

Laura Massey said...

Yay! I'm so glad to find someonr else who reads a mix of genres. Most blogs I see are just YA. While I love YA I also go through phases of different genres. Hopefully, I can drop back by again this week!

Ryan said...

Second only to my reading addicton, is my movie addiction, so I totally understand.

The Brunette Librarian said...

Oooo, Underworld was fantastic! Did you see the sequel is out now? We just got it at our library! :)

It was so nice to meet you! Armchair BEA @ the Brunette Librarian

Melanie said...

Hi Kathryn, nice to meet you! The snobbery within the academic world is rather disheartening, I agree. Blogging really is a great way to unload about reading.

If you have the time, I’d love to hear from you at my armchair BEA post.

Alba said...

O___O Wows! Really? I didn't know people could get bugged because of the books they read :/ that's not good.

I have to check out Susan Mallyery's goodreads page now :D I'm discovering a lot of great authors with this Armchair BEA :P

O_______O I want to own DVDs too but they're too expensive :/ and I also want to own a blue-ray thingy to use that one instead :D So I'm saving $$

My reading tastes haven't changed much...though I now read PR a lot more than I used to... :D

Nice to meet you Kathrin :D
This person stalking you-points to self-is Alba :D
here's my Introduction post for today :D-> http://bookpics-reading2alba.blogspot.com/2012/06/armchair-bea-introductions-first.html

Anonymous said...

I read by mood as well. If you're not going to enjoy it, why bother?

Novels On The Run said...

Hi ,

Nice to meet you:D

I would like to read Meljean Brook series , need to get to library . The Iron Duke looks great!!

Have a great day!

Michelle

Lisa said...

Ha, you can visit Pemberley with me and see Mr. Darcy!

Bookfool said...

I had no idea that reading contemporary novels is frowned upon if you're studying literature! How awful.

Well, I know you've been around for eons because we were in at least one book group together! I hope you will continue to blog for a long time.

Oh, yes, definitely Mr. Darcy. I'd like to meet him. He probably would not find me "handsome" enough. LOL

Marg said...

I read all over the place genre wise too. It seems such a waste of energy to look down on what other people are reading doesn't it!

Chrystal said...

Hi, My name is Chrystal and I too am a book addict. :)

I am definitely a mood reader and I read so many different genres that there is always something to fit whatever mood I might be in.

Happy reading!

Unknown said...

@heather: I definitely agree. It's not about when a book was published, but the story, the writing... I wish people would understand that.

@Krazzyme: Thanks for the tip! I haven't watched Supernatural yet. Now it's on my wishlist :)

@Libby: Thanks, I used to feel inadequat for reading what I love. Sounds stupid now!

@Laura Ashlee: Yay! I'm also glad I'm not alone. Sometimes it feels like that when you read a mix of genres, doesn't it? I will drop by your blog later today!

@Ryan: Woohoo! Any favorite movies you want to recommend to me?

@The Brunette Librarian: Isn't Underworld the title for the sequel? Dang! I meant the sequel of course LOL I read the first book last year or so and had a hard time waiting for the sequel.

@LittleRed Reads: Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

@Melanie: It's also nice to meet you! It makes me sad to think of all the amazing books those people who stick to their opinion and won't even give them a chance. Or maybe I should feel bad for the people because they are so close-minded? I wish we could come up with a brilliant way to change this pre-set notion within the academic world.

@Alba: It's nice to meet you! It makes me sad, but yes, you can be bugged for what you read.. Last week I read The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook on campus and the (German) cover is pretty harmless. The looks were - interesting, to say the least...
As for Susan Mallery, I think her Summer Days is not her best, but it was cute. (Review coming soon).
I don't have a TV and usually buy my DVDs when they're on sale or when there's an offer (4 for 20 or something similar).

@Jennifer O: Oh yes! There's no point in reading something you don't like or continuing a book you don't enjoy. That's what DNFs are for ;)

@Michelle (Novels On The Run): I can really recommend The Iron Duke. It was a bit surprising to see a few more steamy scenes towards the end, though. I hadn't expected that. But all in all, I loved it! Let me know what you think, once you read it!

@Lisa: I'm coming with you! When do you want to go? LOL

@Bookfool: Yes, it seems to be all about the classics here, maybe some Toni Morrison, but usually, that's about it :( My absolute highlight this semester is a class on parodies of British Government. We get to read Yes Minister by Jonathan Lynn & Anthony Jay.
Which book group was that again? I'm in so many and have been in even more in the past. :)

@Marg: Thanks! I obviously agree with you. It is so much fun to read more than one genre and lots of different authors from all the different times. It's not just fun, I also believe it gives us a broader view of what is out there.

@Chrystal: Yay! I'm so glad to meet more people who read more than one genre through ArmchairBEA :) That makes me so happy!