Saturday, May 29, 2010

Book Review: Megillat Esther by J.T. Waldman







AuthorJ.T. Waldman
TitleMegillat Esther
PublisherJewish Publication Society of America
Date of PublicationJanuary 15, 2006
Page Count164
ISBN978-0-8276-0788-1


J.T. Waldman illustrated and re-told the story of the Book of Esther, in which a young Jewish woman is married to King Achashverosh. When she discovers that the king's evil right hand, Haman (*boo*), wants to kill all Jews, with the help of her father she persuades the king to change Haman's (*boo*) degree.

Now, the Book of Esther (or Megillat Esther in Hebrew) is part of the Bible that not everyone heard of, I assume. At least for me, this was a new one when I first started studying comparative religion (as a minor), but I have come to like it a lot as it is an interesting story. I don't want to give away too much, though.

It took me a bit to get used to the graphics with this graphic novel, but once I got over the unique style, I rushed through the rest of it. Waldman has created a wonderful graphic novel introducing people to the story of Esther. If you have never heard of it - or really like it, you should definitely check out J.T. Waldman's adaptation.



No comments: