Sunday, May 30, 2010

Book Review: Good Answers to Tough Questions - Disasters by Joy Berry







AuthorJoy Berry
TitleGood Answers to Tough Questions Disasters
PublisherJoy Berry Books
Date of PublicationJune 8, 2010
Page Count46
ISBN978-1-6057-7510-4
SeriesGood Answers to Tough Questions


When I saw that Joy Berry was at BEA 2010, I had to stop by. When my brother and I were younger, we didn't have her books, but I heard about her on the internet. Incidentally, my brother and I are by far the oldest "kids" in our family, so I love to sneak into the kiddie lit section of book stores to see what books might be interesting.

In her series "Good Answers to Tough Questions", Joy Berry answers difficult questions kids might ask in a way they will understand without making them worry too much. This installment is all about disasters, both natural and man-made. Some of the disasters mentioned are earthquakes, floods, hurricanes, tidal waves, crowd hysteria and fires.

Each chapter starts out with a child-appropriate explanation of the disaster, before Berry goes on to explain how one can prevent to get into situation like that. If the disaster does happen, though, she also gives advice on how to deal with it and what to do to make it through.

If you have kids and live in an area that will likely experience a disaster or even if you have kids and want to prepare them for an eventual disaster, this is a wonderful way to introduce them age-appropriate to what it is all about and what they can do to help so that everything will be alright.



No comments: