Saturday, September 25, 2010

Book Review: Grimspace by Ann Aguirre








AuthorAnn Aguirre
TitleGrimspace
PublisherACE
Date of PublicationFebruary 26, 2008
Page Count320
ISBN978-0-441-01599-3
SeriesSirantha Jax #1


Sirantha Jax carries a rare gene - one that allows her to jump ships through grimspace, a place in which ships can travel to faraway places in a relatively short amount of time. Unfortunately, this work shortens the life of a so-called jumper significantly. When the ship Jax is navigating crashes, she's accused of killing everyone on board, and since she doesn't recall the crash, she can't really defend herself. Still incarcerated, a mysterious man visits Jax and offers to help her escape - for a price. She is supposed to help a small group of people break the monopoly the Corp has on interstallar travel ("jumping") and establish a new breed of jumpers.

Before I write anything about my thoughts, I have to admit it has been 8 months since I read Grimspace, so this will most likely be a bit spotty at times. Nonetheless, I still remember a lot about the book because it was just this impressive! In general, I'm not what you would call a sci-fi reader let along a sci-fi fan, but I came across this book and it just sounded interesting. It reminded me in the hours I spent with my Dad watching Star Trek back in the day (15 years ago or so). I was simply intrigued by the idea behind the book and Ann Aguirre did not let me down there. It was easy to gain access to the world of Sirantha Jax and you could see some real character development even in this first book in the trilogy, not just an introduction to the most important people.

The sad point for me is that I am very reluctant to read the other two parts in the trilogy, because I made the huge mistake of reading a review at Amazon (Yes, I know - what a huge mistake!!! Lesson learned ;) ) and it totally gave away the fact that two characters who grow close during the first book grow apart again later on. I am not sure I want to continue the series, so if you have read it: will it totally bog the story down or is it still as amazing as the first book? But if you haven't read the book yet, don't worry, because I think you can leave it after book one without being unsatisfied, because the big question definitely is answered at the end.


No comments: