Saturday, June 01, 2013

[Armchair BEA] "Keeping it real"?! and children's & YA literature


Button designed by Emily of Emily's Reading Room


For those of you who don't know yet, ArmchairBEA is a way for those book bloggers who cannot attend Book Expo America in Person to get together and meet great people.



Keeping it real...


I have been thinking about that saying all day yesterday and all day today and I am still not sure if I actually fully grasp the meaning. Let me try it anyway...

I have been blogging for many years now and it has mostly been about books here, but that is not everything I can and want to share with you. I mention it here and there - I love playing with makeup, my cat is a source of joy and WTF-ery in my life, and the mister and my pregnancy is no secret, which you can see in my Instagram feed on a regular basis. I am still trying to figure out how to best incorporate this in my blog without moving the emphasis from book blogging. Maybe not only by mentioning it here and there in a side note. To me, when I hear about Keeping it real, I think of not faking it, being yourself and being honest in what you say and do.

If you have any advice on how to incorporate other aspects on a blog, feel free to leave your suggestions and ideas in the comments!



Children's & Young Adult Literature


I am probably not telling you anything new when I say that YA is one of the main age groups in literature I read. At least if you know this blog a bit. But what about children's literature?

I will soon have to stock up on picture books for kiddo, so I have been thinking about those books for a while now. Apart from the Doctor Seuss books, the mister will definitely have us stock up on (and actually, we already have one thanks to Lenore and her husband Daniel, we will add The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The question is, what other books we should add. I assure you, I will keep you up to date on kiddo's very first library!

As an older kid, I loved Enid Blyton's novels. They always taught the reader something without being too preachy, and I could not get enough of them. They are mostly girl-y books, so we will have to see what we can get kiddo when he is (quite a few years) older. Aside from the usual fare of books geared towards 8-12 year old girls, I would also read plenty of Agatha Christie's mysteries. I never viewed them as too brutal or bloody, and I enjoyed (and still do) the thrill of trying to figure out what exactly happened, why and of course the whodunnit!

Nowadays, I am an adult, obviously, but I still go back to reading YA most of the time. On one hand, it is an escapist behavior. I have to read plenty of classics and other rather dense literature for university. When I read YA I concentrate less on images the author might want to create, or on underlying messages. With young adult novels, I still have some issues that are being handled.

On the other hand, I can go back to a time in life when things were on one hand easier (no tax reports! no bills!), but also difficult for me as a bookaholic, an avid reader. You may or may not know that reading is not commonly perceived as "cool" when you're a teenager. The books I read are a nice mixture of nerdy people and how they experience their teenage years and books with cool kids and their issues. It's this mix in YA that makes it especially appealing to me.

Are there any books you can recommend, both in picture books and children's books? Are there YA books you think I should read?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would highly recommend Narnia,and The Secret Garden