Monday, January 24, 2011

How much disbelief can you suspend?

So, I started reading Nauti Boy by Lora Leigh a couple nights ago and I’m very annoyed. And this is putting it mildly! A young woman has recently been attacked and was almost raped. This left her seriously scared from said attack including straight-out fear of all men, even the guy she was into since she was a teenager. In fact, she basically ran away from this guy, whom she always wanted even though he was simply standing in the house the both grew up in (her Mom and his Dad are married, which makes them step-siblings). And now the author expects me to believe that this woman visits the man only hours after this incident on his boat and starts seducing him. She flat out tells him that she wants his lips and teeth on her nipples. Once she raised her shirt above her bra for him, the guy’s cousin comes in and makes a rather lewd joke about the situation and she’s still all grinning, smiling, and only slightly embarrassed about the situation. Umm, hello? There’s a guy standing in the door? You’re supposedly scared to death of anything with a dick? If you really are, you don’t just stand there with your shirt raised above your bra, grinning at the dude. You cover up as quick as possible, you hide out, you’re maybe so afraid you can’t move. But you certainly won’t stand there grinning and not worry about the situation.

I can only hope this book gets better. Otherwise it will end up flying across the room – unless it’s really hilarious because of all the WTF moments, in that case I might just read the book chapter by chapter, to share those moments with you all.


2 comments:

Ruth @ Bookish Ruth said...

As someone who has had an ex-boyfriend stalk and threaten to kill me, I can say that the situation you described is completely unrealistic. I would have a great deal of difficulty suspending my disbelief that far in light of my personal experiences. Even without those experiences, though, this would strike me as a very far reach.

Unknown said...

Oh Ruth, I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience! I don't think my imagination can get close to what it must have been like for you :(

I doubt there are many people out there who can suspend disbelief in a way to make this story bearable.