Friday, January 09, 2009

Genre Challenge

Samantha at Bookworms and tea lovers is hosting the Genre Challenge - and I think it is a challenge that can work quite well with my usual reading and maybe even some challenge books.



The challenge already started November 1, 2008 and will end November 1, 2009<.

The goal is to read one book of the following genres:
* crime fiction
* detective fiction
* mystery fiction
* horror fiction
* thriller fiction
* romance fiction
* science fiction
* action/adventure fiction
* fantasy fiction
* realistic fiction
* historical fiction
* western fiction

There are three options:
A: Read 10 books, drop the genre you read the most and one of your own choosing
B: Read 11 books, drop the genre you read the most
C: Read 12 books

The rules are simple:
* Read one book per genre within the challenge period.
* Crossovers with other challenges are okay, but within the challenge, each genre should have a separate book.
* Audiobooks are okay, but no graphic novels.
* A list of books for the challenge is not required, but if you make one, you can change your picks any time.

My list
So I will probably pick Option A, but I won't create a list. I'll just add my reads as I read through the year. (I hope upgrading is okay, in case I find so many books I don't have any problem at all ticking off all the genres on the list.)

1) Meg Cabot: Jinx -> fantasy fiction: Jinx is a witch
2) Linwood Barclay: No Time For Goodbye -> thriller fiction
3) Naomi Alderman: Disobedience -> realistic fiction
4) Agatha Christie: The Mirror Crack'd From Side To Side -> mystery fiction

After reading Samantha's genre definitions, I decided to exclude romance fiction, because looking at my reading for the past 2 year from an objective POV, that's the genre that is my most-read. And the second genre I'll drop (for now) is the western fiction, as I don't have many of those on my shelves.

No comments: