Monday, October 31, 2011

[Review] Max Brooks: World War Z

Happy Halloween! I'm stuck here in Germany, where Halloween consists of private or commercial parties only, so we kind of lose out on the fun you all have in the US. I think it's a pity, but maybe one day I can have late October/early November off to be in the States for a real Halloween, decorations, trick or treating and all! And the only pumpkin-carving I remember was with my Grandpa - my Dad's stepdad - but he died pretty 8 years ago. Since then, I haven't carved a single pumpkin.



For the occasion, I'm bringing you a review of a much-loved book, one a dear friend recommended - and for that recommendation alone I love him So, no more talking - on to the short review:







[science-fiction/horror?!?]



You can buy it here:

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (paperback)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (Amazon eBook)



Summary:

(back cover)

We survived the zombie apocalypse, but how many of us are still haunted by that terrible time? We have (temporarily?) defeated the living dead, but at what cost? Told in the haunting and riveting voices of the men and women who witnessed the horror first hand Word War Z is the only record of the plague years.



My thoughts:
Oh wow! I read this book quite a bit ago, but whenever I think about it, I'm still astonished at how awesome World War Z is. I have a thing for zombies, but this novel - ahem, documentary blows me away. It's just the right story for Halloween and you can even finish it off with some The Walking Dead, if you recorded it.



Throughout the book, we jump back and forth between a number of characters and view the zombie apocalypse through their eyes - from the very first cases until the zombie problem is seemingly under control. It is easy to switch back and forth as the characters are so different from each other. We meet scientists, soldiers and normal people all over the world who will tell us their side of the story. This alone takes some work and Max Brooks really succeeded.



If you are up for a good zombie story for Halloween, this should work very well, and it is not as blood-thirsty as The Walking Dead




Rating:
5/5

FTC: bought with my own money

No comments: