Saturday, October 22, 2011

Dewey's Read-A-Thon

ETA: Dang, I was all preoccupied when I signed up and forgot to change the link on the sign up for the April 2012 read-a-thon. The post for that is the current one is the latest post, just click on the header to get there. Sorry!! This is kinda late-ish, but I am trying to not only help out with the prize committee at Dewey's Read-A-Thon, while also reading a bit for the read-a-thon myself (which kinda counts double as here in Germany, there's a semi-regular We Heart Books weekend reading gettogether on Twitter, so if you see #whb anywhere - that's it!).



First up, let me show you my preparations...

The book buying spree - so not necessary, considering the 400 books I already had on Mt. TBR, but what do you do when Amazon has a 3 English books for 15€ promotion?


This was the stack that awaited me when I arrived at my parents - enough to feel really, really bad for our mailmen and mailwomen!

And when I was unboxing - this is what I found:

I love it when Amazon packages have some fun advertising printed on them.

And this is what was in them:

Bill Willingham: Fables #14 - Witches
Bill Willingham: Fables #13 - The Great Fables Crossover
Mike Carey: Unwritten #1 - Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity
Charles Burns: Black Hole
Max Brooks: The Zombie Survival Guide - Recorded Attacks
Max Brooks: The Zombie Survival Guide
Max Brooks: World War Z (this is a second copy which is up for grabs as one of the readathon prizes)
Art Spiegelman: In The Shadow of No Towers
Dave Eggers: Zeitoun
Guy Deutscher: Through The Language Glass - Why The World Looks Different in Other Languages
Tabitha Suzuma: Forbidden
Bill Willingham: Fables #15 - Rose Red
Rachel Vincent: Stray
Rachel Vincent: Rogue
Aimee Bender: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
John Perkins: Confessions of an Economic Hitman
Chinua Achebe: Things Fall Apart
DVD: Leap Year (not for the readathon, obviously!)
Rachel Vincent: Pride
Christine Johnson: Claire de Lune
David Nicholls: One Day
DVD: In Plain SIght Season 1
DVD: Letters to Juliet
DVD: House M.D. Season 6

And my snacks:

The Crunchy Bits are pretty much chocolate covered cornflakes & the Corny are granola bars with dark chocolate.


And those are muffins I made myself this morning. I figured nothing's better than yummy homemade muffins. They're with chocolate chips!

And to sum things up, here's a quick intro:
1) I'm reading at my parents' house in the Odenwald, in Germany.
2) Three random facts about me would be: I love to back. I'm always messy when I work. And my cat sleeps in my bed because he's a great foot warmer.
3) I don't have a fixed stack for the readathon, so I'll just name all 416 books on Mt TBR if that's okay with you.
4) My goal for this readathon is pretty much to stay up and help out with whatever I can - and get some reading in as well.
5) My advice for first-timers would be to pick short books and have some graphic novels in the stack as well - trust me, you'll appreciate it. And also, you might want to move every now and then, because otherwise, you'll get really tired after a while.


5 comments:

Bybee said...

Oooooh, Through the Language Glass is one that I'm putting on my wish list immediately!

I lived in Germany twice: Ulm and Schwabisch-Gmeund.

NICE muffins!

Cass said...

SO many beautiful books! You've done great work with the prizes, thanks for all your hard work!

Alexa S. said...

Amazing set of book (and those muffins look delicious!). Happy readathon!

Sherry Ann said...

Great list of books! And chocolate-covered cornflakes - yum!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

You had tons of fun just preparing for this readathon! :-)

Keep going! Enjoy all those lovely books!

Here's
my post for the Readathon.
I love to have you stop by and say hello!