Friday, August 27, 2010

PFL: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

There are many different memes out there for bloggers to feature the books they're really, really looking forward to. Unfortunately, none of them really meet my needs as I tend to find books I consider my possible future loves in droves rather than one at a time. And I don't feel like featuring those books in droves either. When I fall for a book before its pub date, that usually means something! That means, from now on, you will occasionally (or for the next few weeks: quite some days) find this new feature here.



The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
pub date: November 2, 2010

Summary from Goodreads:

Some schools have honor codes.
Others have handbooks.
Themis Academy has the Mockingbirds.

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it.



I am always curious how dynamics in boarding schools are - and a secret society that makes sure bad behavior and crimes are being punished, well, what's not to love about that!? And the fact that they named themselves after one of my all-time favorite books only adds to that feeling!



2 comments:

Amy said...

I really loved this book - I hope you do too!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Amy! I sure hope so! :)