Tuesday, August 12, 2014

[Top 10 Tuesday] To read or not to read?



Top Ten Tuesday is a bookish weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Today's topic is: Top 10 books I'm not sure I want to read anymore - after buying them - you may or may not know this, but for me, I read reviews and then often buy books based off of that without waiting a bit and thinking. Unfortunately, this happens to me ten books rather frequently. Now, I will showcase ten such books here - and maybe you can tell me whether I should still read them?

1) Black Hole by Charles Burns - I bought this one at the beginning of the graphic novel craziness. I read Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis books, Maus, and a couple others, but this one (along with Jeff Smith's Bone is still on my shelves, unread.

2) Stray by Rachel Vincent (and the two following books in the series - I love those kind of books, but for some reason, I never got around to reading them and now I'm very uncertain about them.

3) The Red-Headed Stepchild by Jaye Wells - I remember seeing this book on so many blogs and I loved the reviews, but I still haven't read it. I don't know if it is still my kind of book?

4) One Day by David Nicholls - I know people have been raving about this one, and when I bought it I was sure I would love it - but so far, nothing enticed me to actually read it.

5) The Bookaholic's Guide to Book Blogs by Rebecca Gilleron & Catheryn Kilgarriff - I bought this when it was first published (years ago!), and I'm pretty sure the majority of the information in this non-fiction book about book blogs is outdated already. Now, why do I still keep it? And should I read it anyhow?

6) The Hate List by Jennifer Brown - Another on of those hyped books I bought as soon as I could. And then, it sat, and sat, and sat. I remember why I wanted to read it, the theme just intrigues me so much! But I don't know what is keeping me from reading it. Should I put it all the way on the top of my reading stack?

7) Graceling by Kristin Cashore - I know, I can't believe it either! I still have not read that one! And I don't even know why.

8) Matched by Allie Condie - Another "I know!" right there!

9) The Mockingbirds and When You Were Here by Dais Whitney - Yes, I managed to buy two books by the same author without reading a single one of them. And now, I don't know what to do with them.

10) Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver - To be honest, I would have to search for a review to remember why I bought this one. That doesn't sound good, huh?

Now, should I read those books? Which books and why? Please help me out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hate List sounds really interesting. I think Il have to add it to the lists - then be not sure about it in two years time

Renae @ Respiring Thoughts said...

Jennifer Brown is one of my favorite contemporary YA authors. She tackles issues that are extremely pertinent to modern-day teenagers (school shooting, sexting, etc.) and turns them into emotional grenades. Hate List is not at all an easy book to read, but it's so worth it.

Charnell @ Reviews from a Bookworm said...

Nice picks! I read and actually really enjoyed The Hate List, but I read it before all the hype or at least before I was aware of any hype. So I can't really comment on whether the hype might ruin it for you. I haven't read Graceling either, I have been debating doing it for so long now. I read and really enjoyed Matched, although I know it's one that gets a lot of mixed reviews. Great picks :) Here's my TTT.