Thursday, October 15, 2009

Frankfurt Book Fair

Some of you might now it already, but if not, you've been informed as of the end of this blog post!

The Frankfurt Book Fair started on Thursday, October 15, and will end on Sunday, October 18, and I'm a regular there. I spend as much time there as I can, so this will also hold true for the current one. I'll spend Saturday there with some other people interested in China, this year's guest country, and Sunday I will be there with some friends.

I don't know what I would do without the book fair, but then, if it didn't exist, I probably wouldn't know what I'm missing!

Anyway let me give you a brief summary of the history of the book fair (information from the official website, translation by me):

In the 14th century, Johannes Gutenberg first printed a book not far from Frankfurt. Frankfurt has been a "book city" up until the 16th century, but during teh 17th century, things around here shifted and Leipzig took over that role. In 1949, though, the tradition of the book fair was re-established in Frankfurt and 205 German book sellers came to the fair which took place at the Paulskirche (it's a building with so much history, I had to share a link - if you ever come to Frankfurt, make sure you visit the Paulskirche!). 60 years later, the Frankfurt Book Fair is the biggest book fair in the entire world!

I don't remember when I first attended the book fair, but it has been a few years now and ever since that first time I have missed maybe 1 book fair. It traditionally starts with the first two days for publishers, book sellers and authors, but the last two days, during the weekend, it's open to the public.

On Sunday, you can actually buy books (sales are not allowed during the first few days!), there's even a competition for the cosplayers (people who dress up as manga and/or anime characters, to keep the explanation short).

Throughout the book fair, there are many other events that revolve around the book fair, so it's always worth a visit.

Now, I will be at the book fair both days it is open to the pubic, so I will keep you posted.

No comments: