Friday, December 06, 2013

[Review] Jean-Yves Ferri & Didier Conrad: Asterix and the Picts



Jean-Yves Ferri & Didier Conrad: Asterix and the Picts [graphic novel, fiction]

You can buy it here:Asterix and the Picts (#35)

Summary:
Asterix and Obelix find a foreigner frozen in an ice cube at the beach. They try to help him return home.

My thoughts:
I grew up with these graphic novels and enjoyed them from the get go. My brother and I got the first 20 or so issues because our uncles were reading them when they were younger. So when I saw the latest Asterix issue in our grocery store, I had to get it.

This is originally a French series by René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo about a small village that decides to fight Julius Cesar's attempt to conquer the world. René Goscinny died quite a few years ago already, and this is now the first one which Albert Uderzo did not draw himself (he did oversee the process, however!). As a fan of this series for years, it makes me sad to know that I will no longer be waiting for a graphic novel by the two men who began this series, but for a new installment by new authors and illustrators. However, I think they might have found two worthy successors, so I have a good feeling for the future.

I was anxious when I first started reading this installment, but Ferri and Conrad did a good job filling in for Goscinny and Uderzo. The story was fun to read, as they included common themes as well as a new story line with some new characters they created. This made me feel somewhat "at home" with the way things progressed.

Hopefully, they will keep up the good work - and maybe they will even come out with a new installment in less time than it took between the last one and this one?

Rating:
4.5/5

FTC: Bought with my own money.


No comments: