Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Book Review: UNACCUSTOMED EARTH by Jhumpa Lahiri



AuthorJhumpa Lahiri
TitleUnaccustomed Earth
PublisherVintage
Date of PublicationApril 7, 2009
Page Count333
ISBN978-0-307-27825-8

I absolutely loved this short story collection. It had been on my shelves for a while, but when I started taking a class on short stories I decided that Jhumpa Lahiri would be my choice for the essays I had to write. So I picked up my copy and went on to read them - and had to pace myself so that I could really enjoy what I held in my hands there. In a way, it felt like a treasure to me.
Unaccustomed Earth is an amazing short story collection. Each short story can stand alone, but the last three short stories are connected through the main characters, Hema and Kaushik. Also, most stories play in New England and India, however, some stories lead us to other countries through the course of the storyline.
As the stories and the characters slowly unfold, Lahiri draws the reader into each story within a matter of lines. The stories and characters are unique, and don’t seem like a reproduction of previous ones, and the only thing they truly have in common is their Indian ancestry and in part their upbringing in traditional Indian families. Here the similiarities stop, and no two characters act the same way when confronted with a difficult situation.


2 comments:

Nina said...

I'm not a big fan of short stories, but this book sounds very nice. I never heard of it before, but I may try this one. :)

Unknown said...

Nina, please let me know how you liked it if / when you try it :)