Thursday, June 09, 2011

Book Review: OH. MY. GODS. by Tera Lynn Childs








AuthorTera Lynn Childs
TitleOh. My. Gods.
PublisherSpeak
Date of Publication2008
Page Count288
ISBN978-0142414200
SeriesPhoebe Castro #1


Phoebe Castro loves her life in California. She gets good grades, is good at running cross-country, and if she can keep her grades up and her performance stays good, she will get a scholarship to the school of her dreams. But then her mother tells her that she is getting married again and that they both will move to Greece. Phoebe won't just have to leave her friends behind, she'll also go to a new school in a new country. A private school at that, and her new stepdad is the headmaster.

Upon her arrival, she finds out that the island she will live on is not known to everyone. It is a secluded island which the ancient Greek gods have kept a secret so that their children and their children would have a save place to learn to control their superpowers and to be able to keep the existence of the gods a secret. Unlike the other students of her new school, Phoebe grew up in a regular home and does not have any superpowers. Will she be able to keep up her grades and her success in cross-country?

I practically devoured this book. It was my first novel by Tera Lynn Childs and it won't be my last. In fact, soon after finishing up Oh. My. Gods. I picked up Goddess Boot Camp. That alone should speak for itself, I think.

When I devour books the way I did Oh. My. Gods., it is usually because the combination of good writing, great characters and just enough hilarious events are mixed together. This is also the case with this book, but there's something more. Something made me want to know what would happen in the second book and I picked it up right afterwards. That's very unusual for me and speaks for how invested I was with the characters and the story.

If you like to read about strong, funny female characters with some paranormal activities thrown in and even some coming of age, you're dead-on with Oh. My. Gods.

Have you read Oh. My. Gods.? What did you love about it? Was there something you didn't like that much? And what's your favorite part? I would love to know that!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I am definitely picking this one up for my duaghter. She will totally love it (and I might sneak a read in myself).