Friday, December 03, 2010

Book Reviews: Becca Black - iDracula and Richard Peck - Three Quarters Dead

Since I have been overly stressed out during the past two months and got sick as a result, I haven't been around much. However, I did read quite a bit and I will try to catch up with my reviews with some reviewlets during the next week or two.



Becca Black’s iDrakula is a modern re-telling of Dracula in the right now very popular text message / e-mail / blog post format. About a year and a half ago, I took a class on vampires in literature and film, for which I had to read the classic story and watch two different film versions. Having those three adaptations in mind, I jumped right into iDracula, expecting a maybe boring warmed up version of the same old story. Let me say I was pleasantly surprised when I literally raced through the story and finished it in one night. So if you’re up for a modern version of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, this might just be for you!





I picked up Three Quarters Dead by Richard Peck at BEA earlier this year. I have this wonderful, signed ARC and it was waiting for my return to my cousin, where I devoured it within two short nights. From the back cover blurb, I had expected a story about a girl that becomes part of the in crowd and soon discovers the ugly side of the girls. This is not the case, but the book is equally compelling. Soon after Kerry is noticed by the three coolest girls in the school, her new friends die in a car accident and Kerry is devastated. She has no friends left and her life becomes very difficult. With this ghost story, Richard Peck sucked me in and kept me hooked throughout the book. If you’re looking for a ghost story with a twist and a quick ride through New York City, you’re definitely in for it!

2 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I need to get to the Richard Peck book!

Unknown said...

Yes, you should, I'd say... I sure can't wait to read your thoughts on it :)